The organizers of the Lake Superior Libraries Symposium (LSLS) invite breakout session proposals for our sixth annual conference to be held on June 9, 2017 at the University of Minnesota Duluth Kathryn A. Martin Library.
This year’s theme, Beyond Neutral, invites attendees to challenge the traditional stance of libraries as neutral spaces. In the current political climate, how do we navigate our institutional restrictions while upholding our professional values? At LSLS17, we will look outward to connect with our community, and inward to reflect on ourselves and our profession.
Possibilities for presentation topics include:
- Breaking Barriers, Opening Doors
- What steps have you taken to make your library welcoming and accessible to your community? How have you connected with community partners or altered the physical space of your library?
- Reflecting Our Communities
- How have you used programming, collection development, displays, or services to support diversity and inclusion? Within your library, how do your policies and practices work with, or against, these initiatives?
- Starting the Dialogue
- How can we best address challenging questions within our profession, like our lack of professional diversity, the pace of change, and the library’s purpose? How have you facilitated conversations about these issues both within your library and with your community?
Breakout session presenters should submit proposals at http://z.umn.edu/proposals. All proposals should be submitted by March 17th. Presenters will be notified of acceptance in early April.
LSLS allows library staff to share their expertise, learn from their colleagues, and network to develop a stronger community of information professionals. Staff from all types of libraries are encouraged to attend.
The event is organized and supported by library staff and educators from Northern Minnesota and Wisconsin; for a full list of our supporters, see http://lakesuperiorlibrariessymposium.com/about/supporters/.
For questions about proposals and submissions, please contact email@example.com. A complete listing of speakers, agenda, and costs will be released in April.