James J. Hill Center Library Services Intern
We are looking for a current MLIS student or recent graduate to join our staff as an intern. While the internship is unpaid, our library is unique and can offer you the opportunity to learn a diverse set of skills. The Hill Center library is a special collection, a scholarly reference library, and a library that is open to the public, a rare combination. The collection also contains a variety of materials that will allow you to work with current, state-of the-art databases, alongside older archival materials of historic importance. The ideal candidate is passionate about library service and excited by the possibilities this library has to offer.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Staff greeter’s desk and business reference desk periodically, to help welcome our patrons into the space and to assist them with their research needs.
- Process special archival materials, ensuring they are preserved and well-organized.
- Create finding aids for archival materials. There may also be an opportunity to catalog materials.
- Shift general collection in stacks to reorganize collection and make room for new acquisitions.
- Other special projects as assigned.
- Dedication to library service and an interest in the James J. Hill Center’s mission.
- MLIS students or recent graduates preferred.
- Interest in archival and/or business reference work a plus.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Creative thinking and the ability to see solutions where others see only problems.