|The DeWitt Wallace Library is seeking collaborative, innovative, and
enthusiastic candidates for our Digital Scholarship Librarian. This
position supports digital initiatives by providing direction and
contributing to strategic planning for our web, digital publishing and
digital preservation services. The person in this position is also
integral to exploring, developing, and implementing new technologies
that support the library as well as faculty and student digital liberal
The Digital Scholarship Librarian helps support and integrate various commercial and open source systems used to manage and provide access to library digital projects. Working with the library Web Working Group, this individual is responsible for designing, developing and maintaining the library web site while also ensuring that it adheres to campus and current industry design and usability standards. Partnering with our librarians, the Digital Scholarship Librarian maintains and supports existing software solutions for library and archival applications including but not limited to, DigitalCommons, CONTENTdm, Omeka, Guide on the Side, LibGuides, and dotCMS. The person in this position provides outreach to promote the use of our institutional repository for faculty and students as well as promoting our open access publishing initiatives. Another key component of our work is assessment, and this individual will collect and assess data on our systems and web services in order to share usage data, identify key user experience issues, and work towards optimal usability. This position requires excellent communications and project management skills in order to be effective in working in our highly collaborative environment. The Digital Scholarship Librarian is a member of the Communications, Publications and Finance team.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
DeWitt Wallace Library received the 2016 ACRL Award for Excellence for College Libraries and we seek talented individuals who are interested in continuing our tradition of excellence and innovation.
• Master’s degree in Library Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited institution preferred.
• Minimum of two years of experience in design of web pages and maintenance of web sites.
• Minimum of two years of experience in an academic library highly desirable.
• Experience with standard web editing and graphic software is preferred.
• Experience in podcasting and/or digitization of videos and other media formats is required.
• Able to plan, develop and present instruction for a variety of audience levels. Experience developing web-based learning documents, tools, guides, and tutorials preferred.
• Strong computing skills and experience with both Windows and Macintosh operating systems and applications.
• Ability to identify and integrate new technologies and innovations into existing operations.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills. Able to work effectively with diverse populations.
• Able to work cooperatively in a flexible, highly collaborative, team-based work setting.
• Supervisory skills and experience desirable.
• Coordinates the development and management of the library web site and related services and resources in consultation with other library staff members. Evaluates new technologies and services and assesses implications for the library web site needs.
• Integrates social media into the library web site.
• Actively supports and promotes the library publishing initiatives including open textbooks, and the institutional repository, the Digital Commons. Working with a team will work on improvements that include managing metadata, DOIs, and workflow processes for journals and books.
• Participates in planning with librarians, AIAs (Academic Information Associates), and faculty to support digital liberal arts on campus.
• Working with the College Archivist will work on digital preservation planning and prepare policies and procedures.
• Contributes to the development and accomplishment of library goals and objectives. Provides support to other library staff members and serves as a resource person for sharing expertise in assigned areas of responsibilities.
• Attends professional conferences and events and takes advantage of opportunities for learning. Explores new technology and services and shares information and knowledge with library staff.
• Participates in meetings and serves on committees that develop relationships with the campus community and beyond.
• Other duties as assigned based on qualifications and interests.
Macalester College is a highly selective, private liberal arts college in the vibrant Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area. Established in 1874, Macalester has a proud and rich tradition of academic excellence with a special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society. Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none.
For best consideration please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF document through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than 07/08/2016. Review of applications will begin on 07/08/2016.All inquiries about this position should be directed to:
Emily Herron, Sr. HR Generalist
MLIS Office Contact Information
NOTICE: This blog will no longer be updated as of April 8, 2017.
Please visit the new LIS Department website at lis.stkate.edu.
Program News and Events
Call for Submissions